Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Timeline

Time sure does seem to get away from me.  And when time isn't sprinting past, I'm much too good at frittering away and wasting time.

I try to be organized an productive. I make lists, I break large projects into smaller tasks, and I'm even working on getting out of bed earlier in the day. When I do have a hard and fast deadline I'm good at getting things done. It's the lack of deadlines, or loosy-goosy deadlines that are my bane. It's so easy to put things off when there's no end point for the task in question.

So. Shawn has two student defending their doctoral dissertations with in the next two weeks. After he's done with them and has time again, I am going to have a sit down with him to hammer out a solid timeline. AND I'm not going to show up at the meeting empty handed. I will have at least a detailed outline of my dissertation proposal and a list of people whom I intend on contacting as potential committee members. I may end of having to do some things out of "order," such as writing my full proposal this summer and then having my oral examinations at the beginning of fall term, but that will allow me to launch into my research and writing once my exams are out of the way.

So now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go read 16 pages in Cultivating Communities of Practice, 1 dissertation related article, post 3 things on Craigslist, clean my kitchen, and look over some work materials for an upcoming meeting. Not in that particular order.

No comments:

Post a Comment